Thursday, November 7, 2013

Broken leg and some cast-covers

Hello my friends!

As I promised you yesterday, I'll share with you what happened last week: my daughter Karina broke her left leg. 

We were at a friend's house and she was jumping on the big trampoline they have in the backyard. She loves it! 
But this time, a minute after she started, she slipped and fell badly on the leg. It all happened so fast and we didn't even realise right away that her leg was broken. 

We spent the whole day in the ER of Sutherland Hospital. They put a cast on her leg and now it's immobilised for the next three weeks. Since the accident was a week ago, the yesterday's X-ray showed that her bone already started to heal and it just need some more time to heal completely. 
So, it's good news - she will heal fast and have no side effects from the broken bone while growing.

In the meantime, I decided to make something for her - something that might make having her leg covered in a cast a bit easier. 
I asked her what's her favourite colour and the answer was: "Rainbow!" 
So, I went to buy some rainbow fabric and made this cast cover for her leg:

Of course, she loved it! It makes having the cast a bit more cheerful, which is always good for a 5-year old. 

So then I thought, I could make a few of those for the hospital. During our stay in the ER, we met Dr. Matthew White from the orthopedic department, who actually put the cast on her leg. He was so kind and understanding, and had such a wonderful smile on his face the whole time. He made our stay a bit easier and I am so thankful for that. So, I decided to give him a personal Thank you card and leave him a few cast covers that might put a smile on other children's faces, going through a similar injury. 


I really hope those covers make other kids happy too. It's not an easy thing to go through, but at least I tried to make it a bit less stressful for them.




Have a great week, everyone!
Love,
         

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Maria,
    You are gifted to transform each situation into a bright and colorful experience! How fortunate for your children, for that will stay in their memories - how your mother could bring joy and smile with her creations in challanging moments!
    We wish Karina a full recovery and you all joy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Milena, for your kind words!
      Hugs :-)

      Delete